Monday, November 06, 2006

When the Deal Goes Down

Last night Bonnie and Poonam and I went to see Bob Dylan! We had floor seats and no one in front of us and it sounded great - couldn't ask for a better show. Foo Fighters opened with an acoustic set; they're a really, really good band. Dave Grohl is not only a great musician but one of the funniest as well. He had people in stitches all night. The highlight of the FF set was Grohl singing "Best of You" solo - and he yelled it. Literally, he yelled as though it were an electric performance, yet it was just him and an acoustic guitar. It was truly awesome. Then Bob came on. People after the show complained that he didn't acknowledge the crowd, but he never acknowledges the crowd - that's been his thing for, like, 40 years. It is the music that mattered. But he almost danced on more than one occasion. What more can you ask for? There was almost a fight a couple of rows in front of us between two young dudes smoking pot and an old dude who should've been smoking pot, there was a crazy guy behind us screaming "Free Ruben Carter!" and an old guy kindly asked me if I would mind sitting down (I did). Bob's band was impeccable, as always, and the new arrangements on old songs like "Maggie's Farm" and "Tangled Up In Blue". He played two new songs, "Nettie Moore" and "Thunder on the Mountain," and a lot of old ones; in fact, the first six songs were all from 1966 or earlier. "Just Like a Woman" was awesome, as was "Most Likely You'll Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine," "She Belongs to Me," "Watching the River Flow," and "Ballad Of A Thin Man". He closed with "Like a Rolling Stone" and "All Along the Watchtower": an awesome end to a fantastic concert. I was truly satisfied. It will definitely hold me until he comes back this way again. Oh, and I bought a t-shirt.

4 comments:

Snarl said...

Cute pic! I'd love to see the Foo Fighters in concert, but they sell out like mad here. We got tickets to the Hip though in January! We'll have to compare concert notes.

Bonnie said...

The Foo Fighters were awesome. If only we had brought Mentos...

My favourite part of Bob Dylan and his band is that they dress nearly identically, so whenever I couldn't see Bob, I just pretended that the person I could see was him. He is a mean bass player.

A, I'm excited for you for the Hip! You should groupie them up and come here in February! :) I'm sure T would love that.

Jazz said...

I enjoyed it when Dylan and his peeps just stood on the stage together at the end of their performance, as though posing for an awkward group shot for mom before rushing off to old man prom.

The Fighters of Foo were glorious. My favourite part was the rockin' triangle solo.. more triangle!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so so envious!

Boyd