Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Hutty.ca

Today we recognize a mainstay in the blogosphere, hutty.ca, which will soon begin a hiatus of undetermined length. It was a brilliant run of consistently funny and meaningful posts (except for that Saget one. That was just crude). But let us not mourn, my friends; if anything, let's remember the good times:

1. The Walk Light: "My comic moment of the week -- Having just pushed the walk-light at the corner of College and Fieldhouse Drive, waiting to cross the road, a man walked up behind me. It was obvious that he had seen me push the walklight but insisted on pushing it himself (forcefully). So, I turned to him and said, "what, you don't trust me?" He laughed (awkwardly)."

2. The Dangers of Moving: "As Craig tried to attach a final bungee chord to a hook on the truck it slipped out of his hands, flew across the width of the flatbed and struck me, unsuspecting Dave, directly above my right eye. This sent me to the ground in a small panic, as I couldn't see. However, I discovered that I couldn't see because I had blood running into my eye from a two inch gash between my eyebrows (I've posted a photo in the gallery for a visual representation)."

3. Bring Ikea to SK?: "My suggestion yesterday that that Saskatoon federal election candidates should campaign to bring better movies here (so that we don't continually feel like we're waiting for the future to arrive), was a joke, partly. However, less of a joke would be campaigning to bring Ikea to Saskatchewan. I've had umpteen conversations with friends/family that complain that "we don't have an Ikea." It's quite disturbing, actually, how much this plays into our cultural psychology. Like the movie thing, we see ourselves as perpertually culturally behind and waiting for the next trend to arrive"

4. Should the reading age be raised?: "I chuckled when I read an article in Maclean's "Stop him before he votes". The "New Macleans", as it, like the New NHL, has come to be known, seems to publishing anything and everything to create buzz. Virtually every article in Maclean's now simply takes a side and defends it, letting the other side air its concerns in letters and in the blog-mad world wide web. It's opinion dressed as news. Which certainly isn't "wrong" or without a long history of yellow journalism as precedent. And for a magazine that's attempting to reinvent itself, it's actually quite a brilliant strategy, especially, I would argue, in the hypertext age where sometimes you have to scream to be noticed and 'linked'."


5.Pushing Boundaries Since 1912: "After not publishing the muhammad cartoons, the Sheaf, the University of Saskatchewan student paper, decided to publish a cartoon featuring Jesus Christ that's arguably way more "offensive." Jeremy Warren, the Sheaf's news editor and a friend o' mine, resigned over the paper's decision not to publish the Muhammad cartoons. He now has more on the ironies and paradoxes of the situation."

This last one is my personal fave. You presented the facts and let the readers decide. I had fun, in hindsight.

Hutty.ca, we shall miss thee.

No comments: