Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Confessions...

I've been listening to a lot of interesting music lately and I thought I should share my list of favourite songs with everyone since I'm not posting about anything else (insert apology here). I'm not sure what to call this list; there is no unifying theme other than they're on my hot list this week.

Local God - Everclear. This gem from the Romeo and Juliet Soundtrack is a true rocker released before they got too big for their britches.

Morning Bell - Radiohead. Both versions have been on repeat. I recommend listening to the Kid A version first and then kicking it up a notch with the Amnesiac version.

One More Cup of Coffee - The White Stripes. This is a Dylan cover from The White Stripes' first album.

Helpless (live) - Neil Young and The Band. I recently picked up The Last Waltz, a concert film about The Band, and determined that this version of "Helpless" is one of the best performances on the DVD. Neil never fails to impress.

Snowbird - Anne Murray. This may surprise some, but if you've never heard it before, I recommend that you take a listen before you pass judgement.

Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt - We Are Scientists. This new cut is pretty catchy.

Sirena - Calexico. Another catchy tune, this time with horns and a "south of the border" sound.

The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash. The title track from Cash's last studio album is the best song on an album that includes covers of "Hurt," "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "Personal Jesus."

You Only Live Once - The Strokes. The latest album from the Strokes is still in heavy rotation.

Movies of Myself - Rufus Wainwright. Rufus's voice is a little bit much at times but here it's just right.

Publish My Love - Rogue Wave. All you fans of The O.C. know this song.

Hung Up - Madonna. {no comment}

5 comments:

Jazz said...

I agree that Local God is super awesome. Released before they got too big - and fruity - for their britches.

Garry said...

Yes, Snowbird. I'm surprised that a bluenoser like yourself would say anything bad about Anne Murray - isn't it required by law that you like her?

The Offensive Coordinator said...

Garry, I for one am happy and impressed with your inclusion of the delightful "Snowbird" on your list. You're breaking down barriers! By the way, I think Anne Murray is from PEI, not Nova Scotia.

The Offensive Coordinator said...

OK, correction, she IS from Nova Scotia (Springhill). That will teach me to write a comment without spending 0.17 seconds on a Google search.

Dean Ziegler said...

I cannot possibly relay to you how much I love Madonna's new album.