Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Time to Step Up

This is from my friend Scott at Northern Exposure: Behold, the Caesar’s Bath meme! List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can’t really understand the fuss over. To use the words of Caesar (from History of the World Part I), “Nice. Nice. Not thrilling . . . but nice.” He challenged me to do the same. So here goes:

1. Lance Armstrong. Sure, the guy won some Tours. But hosting Saturday Night Live? Is he a celebrity because of his athleticism or because of his girlfriend?

2. Pineapple on pizza. Some people swear by it, and I'm sure that by abstaining, I have raised the ire of pineapple lovers. I just don't think pineapple should be served hot. Cold pineapple, or even room temperature, that's another story. But I can't stand it on pizza.

3. Coldplay. They're reputed as the best band in the world, but I just don't see it. I enjoy their songs, sure, and I even have two of their cds. But the latest cd does not make them the best band in the world.

4. Drinking games. I would rather sit and enjoy a drink on my own time - no sense being stupid about it. Of course, as a youngster I indulged in a game or two of Root That Pig or Beer Pong, but generally I was content drinking my Labatt 50 at my own rate.

5. Blogs. Just kidding! I love these things.

The tradition is to pass on the challenge to three other bloggers, so I challenge the crew from The Buzz Review, Dean, and Rick Mercer.

6 comments:

electric_S said...

I am totally with you on the pineapple, man.

The Offensive Coordinator said...

Make that THREE on the pineapple. Perhaps it's not as popular as we think.

Anonymous said...

hold it, hold it! Garry, is this a personal attack on your own sis? pineapple is my fave topping on a pizza, hear this, i've even had a plain pineapple pizza, deliciously delicious!

I also love and adore coldplay, although i agree they may not be the greatest band in the world for musical ability, they are trying to make some good with their music and you just can't complain. i spent most of my coldplay concert with my eyes closed singing along, so they definately have the effect of being the greatest band in the world... but they just aint' no radiohead!

Garry said...

I know Coldplay is your favourite, and I'm not diminishing their musical talent. I just don't understand the U2-like hero-worship, that's all. And I wouldn't turn down a chance to see them in concert, I just won't travel any substantial distance to see them.

Kevin Ziegler said...

I really enjoyed the first Coldplay album, but I don't think they've written any original music since then. It's a problem when a band gets uber-popular: they just become an image.

Garry said...

I'm sorry to say that I don't do the msn thing. But if you want to email me, that'd be fine.