Thursday, October 20, 2005

Comics Blast Blogs

I saw this in the paper the other day and I laughed, and then I said, "what a minute!" then I said, "yeah, it's funny" then I said, "if you can't make fun of yourself, who can you make fun of?" then I said, "why do you have to make fun of anyone? Is it impossible to avoid making fun of someone?" then I got hungry and forgot about the whole thing. Anyhoo, here's the impetus for this Miller-esque semi-rant: (I found it on the Seattle Post-Intelligencer website) It's an interesting opinion about blogs that is almost dead on. Still, I think blogs do some good: they are entertaining, for one. This is an argument that will go on for roughly 6 more months until blogs are accepted by the dinosaurs of society as a viable way to communicate. Why shouldn't someone post thoughts about thoughts? Perhaps that would inform people about our society better than, say, Fox News or The Globe and Mail. It's like The Daily Show - keepin' it real.

2 comments:

The Offensive Coordinator said...

If I wrote 8-12 letters (one for each person who reads my blog)every couple of days on my thoughts on various cultural and political issues that interest me, and mailed them to my friends, would people be writing comics about how lame it is?

Garry said...

Good point. The fact that comics are making fun of it attests to its relevance. Can you imagine writing 8-12 letters every couple of days? It would take up a major chunk of your time! Not that blogging doesn't, of course. My research on D.H. Lawrence is aided by the fact that he wrote thousands upon thousands of letters in his lifetime. He had many correspondants, and often wrote 10 or more letters daily. As a writer he was able to spend his time doing such things rather than work regular hours, but still! That's a lot of letter writing.