Thursday, October 26, 2006

"Maybe, maybe not. Maybe go f*** yourself"

Bonnie, Poonam and I went to see The Departed on Tuesday: brilliant, brilliant movie. I'm inclined to agree with Peter Travers about this movie: "Each new [Scorcese] film absorbs the others, creating a body of work that can stand with the greatest. Scorsese tops the list of American directors because, even when he fails, he strives passionately to make movies that matter. The Departed, a defiantly uncompromised vision of a society rotting from the inside, is one of his best." I loved every minute of it. It was intense, suspenseful, emotional, brilliant. I hope this time he gets his Oscar. Of course, he didn't make Flags of Our Fathers, so who knows. Another great point - the music. Rolling Stones, Lennon, Van Morrison singing Rolling Stones; all the songs (and the score) were perfect.
In light of this new favourite movie, I'm releasing my top five favourite movies of 2006:

1. The Departed
2. Thank You For Smoking
3. Nacho Libre
4. Little Miss Sunshine
5. V For Vendetta

Two movies that have yet to come out but could very possibly be on this list are Stranger Than Fiction and Borat. This list will undoubtedly be revised in a couple of weeks. Oh, and I'm looking forward to seeing The Prestige as well. Finally, another great part of The Departed involves Leonardo DiCaprio drinking cranberry juice. You'll have to see the movie to find out what it is because it's too risque for this publication. Or you can ask Bonnie.

5 comments:

Jazz said...

vodka and cranberry is still my drink though - I will just feel very weird and self-conscious when I order it from now on..

and Garry, you forgot to include Take the Lead, Stick It, and Step Up on your list.. tsk tsk..

The Offensive Coordinator said...

I'm off to see "The Departed" tonight, I think, so I'll soon have an opinion. Until then, though, "Thank You For Smoking" is at or near the top of my list, and "Inside Man" would be as well. (That came out this year, right?)

The Offensive Coordinator said...

Garry, I hate to quibble with you (oh, who am I kidding, I love it), but I think that was Van Morrison singing PINK FLOYD, not the Stones. And they scooped me by opening with "Gimmie Shelter" in a cop/mob movie - that's been my idea for years!

But yeah, a really good movie. I still liked those other two more for the year, though.

Garry said...

Yeah, "Comfortably Numb", right? Bonnie and I watched Goodfellas tonight and "Gimmie Shelter" played during a drug montage - I guess Scorcese has his favourites.

The Offensive Coordinator said...

Correct. In keeping with the theme, I rented "Gangs of New York" and "Raging Bull" from the library for the weekend.