Tuesday, August 01, 2006

So, so hot

Okay, so I'm not just complaining anymore. I'm actually fascinated by the current weather. Last night was the region's "hottest night": 27 degrees or thereabouts for an overnight is crazy talk. In addition, from 11pm to 4 am it was non-stop lightning show. It was so bright it woke me up! It was like someone was turning the lights on and off in my room, even though the curtains were closed. Just incredible. And now, today, this:

Ottawa (Kanata - Orléans)
Currently
Observed at: Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Int'l Airport 1 August 2006 4:00 PM EDT
Sunny
Temperature 36°C Pressure/ Tendency 100.5 kPa↓ Visibility 24 km Humidity 50% Humidex 47 Dewpoint 24°C Wind WSW 24 km/h gust 33 km/h

So it's close to 50 degrees - isn't that crazy? As I write this I'm expecting the power to go off due to Ontario's infamous brownouts. Apparently we've already set records for power usage. Peak time is five o'clock. It's a good thing I've made it up the elevator! It would suck to have to walk up all those flights today. Stay cool everyone!

7 comments:

Jess said...

Random fact: My grandma told me that she heard it's the hottest day since 1935...yuck!

Jazz said...

i sure picked a super awesome day to leave the pesky cool comfort of BC for Ottawa!!!! Weeee!

Garry said...

Happy Birthday Jess!

The Offensive Coordinator said...

Those "humidex" temps aren't really the temperature. They make for better sensationalist press (like the "windchill" factor in the winter). But aside from that minor scientific criticism, I'm sure it is crazy hot there. Stay cool, and I'll see you in a week!

The Offensive Coordinator said...

And when did you become strictly a weather-blogger?

Jess said...

Thanks for the b-day shout out :D

Garry, I enjoy the weather blogging! It'll be fun to see the difference next summer...am I a nerd? *L* A weather nerd...hehe

Anonymous said...

Wow! or should I say Phew! I cannot imagine a temp of 47!

What is worse humidex of 47 or windchill of -47? Since you have lived in Saskatchewan, you would know what -47 feels like!