Tuesday, August 29, 2006

For all you wanna be cult leaders...

I was interested to learn that Warren Jeffs, the leader of a polygamist sect, was arrested today in the US. Jeffs has ties to Bountiful, a community in BC, which has been under scrutiny for some time. Winston Blackmore, former leader of the Bountiful sect, was interviewed earlier this year by Hana Gartner. The Canadian case certainly exposes the difficulties of adhering to freedom of religion while also trying to protect individuals, namely women and children. I'll be interested to see what happens to Jeffs, and I truly hope that he ends up in jail, where he will experience a whole new kind of polygamy.

3 comments:

Jess said...

There has been increased media attention on these "communities" in the last few years eh? Dr. Phil just did a show on talking to ppl who had escaped and now were trying to live a normal life. It's all very sad. My question: Why would someone want 80 children? I, too, am interested to see what happens. Btw...I love how your posts, serious as they maybe, always have some element that makes me giggle. I don't think Jeffs' prison experience will be quite like Prison Break eh?

P.S. Hope the move goes smoothly! :D

Snarl said...

ha ha, a whole new kind of polygamy! Sharp work, Bon. Sharp work.

Anonymous said...

whole new kind of polygamy........hehehehehehe