Thursday, March 23, 2006

See This Movie Now

Bonnie and I went to see Tristram Shandy yesterday. It is a po-mo remake of a po-mo book: the scenes from the story are intertwined with scenes about making the movie, which is the actual movie; sounds cliche, I know, but cliche it is not. Funny, it is. Steve Coogan (left) and Rob Brydon (right) are the film's "stars" and, fittingly, provide the funniest moments (such as the Al Pacino-off). It is a highly entertaining film; see it as soon as possible. Five "unfilmable novels" out of five.

4 comments:

Jess said...

It is a fabulous movie that can only be enhanced by reading the book! Such genius moments also include the constant need to assert one's masculinity (I don't want to give anything away!), the ambiguity of character roles, and the last scene...SO GOOD!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing this. If it ever comes to rural Manitoba. But pardon my lack of cool...what's a po-mo?

Dean Ziegler said...

Steve Coogan is great, even though he has a real hard time getting along with Alfred Molina. I'm looking forward to some good old-fashioned existential angst.

Kevin Ziegler said...

dammit, i wish this movie was playing somewhere in town. I'm probably going to have to wait until it comes out on video