Thursday, January 19, 2006

First Noteworthy Album of 2006

I picked up the new Strokes album, First Impressions of Earth, a couple of weeks back but I didn't blog about it for various reasons; actually, only one: I was lazy. But now I am blogging about it to tell others that it is a very good album, one that should be mentioned come year-end list time next year. I say "noteworthy" and not "great" because it isn't a great album: it's a solid album that won't disappoint current fans but likely won't attract new ones. It's more aggressive, as though Julian Casablancas is through with his bouncy, happy-go-lucky songs of the past and now deals with harsher things. Rolling Stone will tell you that he comments on "God and fate and the meaning of the universe" and Spin reports that Casablancas "may incur accusations of terminal flameout." The lyrics are conveniently vague, but the music is darker, heavier, harder ("beefier") than the previous two albums; this album has some weight to it. Key songs are "Juicebox," "Heart in a Cage," "Razorblade" and "Ize Of the World." I'll give it three and a half meditative singers out of five.

3 comments:

The Offensive Coordinator said...

Yes, but what are they WEARING these days?

Garry said...

I don't know what they're wearing these days, but they were pretty good on SNL last night. And yes, I still check Buzz Review. I hope you guys haven't given up over there!

Kevin Ziegler said...

i got a kick out of the strokes' first album. After what I thought was a bland follow-up, i'm happy to hear some good buzz about their next.