Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Biggest of 2005: The 200 Bestselling Books of the Year

As an employee of Chapters, I am familiar with most of these titles. It is an interesting contrast to any "best of" list, though there will inevitably be some crossover. Check it out, but kindly disregard the incorrect use of "it's" in the first paragraph - I'm sure the editors of this site need not be reminded of the irony of a grammatical error on a top-selling books list. Or perhaps it's indicative of the growing divide between "literary" and "popular". You decide.
The Biggest of 2005: The 200 Bestselling Books of the Year

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I honestly do not know what this list is indicative of...Oprah's growing *gag* influence on the reading public? And even then, should we all be happy that Oprah is forcing people to read? Is this anissue I should be leaving off the blog? Although, I don't see an Oprah-free warning anywhere. Okay, I'll stop before my Oprah rant starts. I'm not overly surprised about the list-go Harry, and I was pleased to see that Life of Pi is still going quasi strong, but that's just an issue of personal interest. Between my mom and I we own four of the top ten books, but I don't really know if that says much about the book reading public beyond the fact that, like many others, I got caught in Da Vinci Code mania. I'm actually really surprised that there are no diet books in the top 10 of the list. I also think listing 200 books is a bit overwhelming and then I wonder why not 500? And what was number 201? So many questions...

Bonnie said...

Go Jess! Oprah bashing is fully approved, and even endorsed. At my defence, I got blasted for suggesting that Oprah's Book Club is crap-tacular. Good point about the diet books - I am also suprised that there was not one on the top ten list.

Dean Ziegler said...

This list is very interesting. I think that I singlehandedly helped the $1900 dollar Calvin and Hobbes collection scrape into the top 200. I think, if nothing else, you could probably re-name this list the "Oprah/Blockbuster list of 2005". Unless you count Oprah as a blockbuster, as I do, and then you could just call it "Oprahfest '05".