Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A Christmas Must-Read

Marshall Heyman's review of The Truth About Diamonds by Nicole Richie, available here, proves that celebrities should be encouraged to write more books about their lives so that the average person can gain access to the glittering world of the famous. The book seems to have something to offer everyone. Even those of us who are fairly well-read can learn more about the English language. For example, I can now add the triple negative to my repertoire of writing tricks: "We were nothing if not unoriginal," the narrator, a character named Nicole Richie, tells us about her friends. Richie's language is rich and powerful, presenting the reader with similes and metaphors that will remain with her forever: A reporter is "harder to get rid of than body lice." Kicking heroin "is kind of like the worst flu you ever had combined with the worst food poisoning you could imagine, and then times the whole thing by forty." No matter how hard I try, I know I will never be able to create such gems.

I am truly in awe of such brilliance. I can only hope to find this under the tree on Christmas morning.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

lmao. Great stuff. I can't say I've read the book. The only "celebrity" books I've ever read was the biolgraphy of Leonard Nimoy (by Leonard Nimoy). However, it was actually very well written.

Happy Holidays to you and Bonnie! I hope you have a great Christmas and fun New Years!

Garry said...

I already got you the Paris Hilton book for Christmas - sorry! You'll have to wait until your birthday to get this one.

Merry Christmas to you, too, Jamie!