Sunday, November 20, 2005

Most influential albums

As promised, here's my list of most influential albums. Obviously these are my top five all-time albums, but they are the albums that contributed most to the music sensibilities I enjoy today. As such, they are all albums that I first heard while still a young grasshopper, specifically the years 1993-95.

1. Nevermind - Nirvana. I know this is cliche, but it is cliche for a reason. It is an influential album (and band) that affected a lot of people my age. For me, it was the album that made me stop listening to Wilson Philips.

2. Vs. - Pearl Jam. PJ's second album is still their best, in my opinion. I listened to this one many times over. I enjoyed this album immensely, but I also think it was the first album to prove that a band could be part of a trend and still write good music. This album set Pearl Jam apart from other grunge bands like Alice in Chains or Mudhoney.

3. Day For Night - The Tragically Hip. Believe it or not, I bought this album before Fully Completely. I didn't see what all the fuss was about until Day For Night; the dark lyrics and heavy music converted me to the Hip fan I am today.

4. Pinkerton - Weezer. This was the album that made me a true Weezer fan. Sure, Weezer had some catchy tunes and it is still a fun listen, but the songs on Pinkerton were etched in my brain. They were loud and sad but funny and, well, good. I guess I have a mini-crush on Rivers.

5. Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan. This album came out in 1975 originally, but it wasn't until I saw Jerry Maguire that I pulled my dad's lp out of its sleeve. Cameron Crowe featured "Shelter From the Storm" at the end of the movie and I was hooked. "Tangled up in Blue" became my favourite Dylan song, and my Dylan collection began from there. If it weren't for Blood on the Tracks, I wouldn't be the Dylan fan I am today. Or maybe I should thank Cameron Crowe?

There you have it. I specifically chose older albums because I know what their impact has been. You'll notice that even though I am a big Beatles fan, no Beatles album made the list. Well, thanks to my parents I have liked the Beatles for as long as I can remember, so no one album really made an impact; the Beatles were always part of my musical consciousness. Some albums that were in consideration for this list but didn't quite make it were The Bends by Radiohead, Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins, The Doors in Concert, and London Calling by The Clash. Ten years from now I predict my list might include some newer ones such as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco, White Blood Cells by The White Stripes, Funeral by The Arcade Fire and You Forgot it in People by Broken Social Scene. Oh, and Illinois by Sufjan Stevens. Hope this gets you thinkin'!

3 comments:

The Offensive Coordinator said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Offensive Coordinator said...

You totally lie: you actually have a MAXI-crush on Rivers Cuomo.

Dean Ziegler said...

Ah Garry, you're clearly one of the coolest people I know. Although my list isn't exactly the same as yours, I could get on board with pretty much everything that you have on here. Even if I might not consider Weezer the greatest band in the world anymore, I can't ignore the fact that I listened to dorky little Rivers Cuomo nonstop for the last 6 years of the life. My year-end list is on the way too.