Friday, November 04, 2005

Friday Blues Night

I've been listening to a lot of blues-like rock lately, and so I felt a list or two was required.

Top Five rock songs with "Blues" in the title:

1. Roadhouse Blues - The Doors

2. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues - Bob Dylan

3. Instinct Blues - The White Stripes

4. Hyacinth Blues - Constantines

5. Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash

If you've never noticed, it's hard to find songs with "Blues" in the title (unless you listen to Blues songs). These are the top five songs that I enjoy. I especially recommend the Constantines song, since it is probably the least known on this list. The White Stripes song is from the newest album and the others are pretty straight forward. Of course, some would classify Cash as country, but he rocks as hard as anyone, I'll tell you what. Any other "Blues" songs to recommend? Remember, they can't actually be blues songs.

Top Five Blues-Rock Songs That I've Been Listening to Lately:

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Take 1) - Bob Dylan

2. Sweet Virginia - The Rolling Stones

3. Pull A U - The Kills

4. Devel's Waitin' - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

5. Greyhound - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

These aren't actually blues songs either, but they've got that foot-stompin' beat that I associate with the blues. What are your favourite blues songs? Remember: they can't actually be blues songs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blue Bayou by either Roy Orbison or Linda Ronstadt. Blue Hawaii - Elvis. Blue Velvet - Bobby Vinton. Am I Blue - Joni Mitchell.

Not all are blues, but certainly blue.

Garry said...

I was thinking more like songs with "Blues" in the title, like "Tombstone Blues" or Cocaine Blues". "Blue Velvet" doesn't seem to be "foot-stompin'" either; maybe I just haven't heard it in a while.

electric_S said...

Day Old Blues - Kings of Leon

This follows all the criteria.