Monday, November 07, 2005

Bookstore song list

In celebration of my new job, I thought I'd do a list of songs that relate to the book industry.

1. Peace and Quiet - The Librarians. Low-fi mini-Pavement dudes who detest loud conversations in the stacks.

2. Baudelaire - ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead. The rather gruesome band name fits perfectly with the 19th century French poet whose major work is entitled Fleurs de mal.

3. I Thought I Was - Rainier Maria. This trio is a shout-out to melancholic German poet Rainier Maria Rilke.

4. Poets - The Tragically Hip. Gord Downie doesn't want to know "what the poets are doing," so don't tell him.

5. Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler's great song updates the 16th century tragedy. It has nothing to do with the Danes/DiCaprio film version.

6. Song for Myla Goldberg - The Decemberists. This cerebral band salutes best-selling author Goldberg, whose only notable credit is 2000's Bee Season.

7. Everyday I Write the Book - Elvis Costello. Costello certainly rewrites the book on quirky pop-rock. I don't know about every day, but often.

8. Shakespeare's Sister - The Smiths. A lesser-known hit from the melancholic princes from Manchester. See also one-hit wonder band of same name.

9. Slouching Towards Bethlehem - Joni Mitchell. Mitchell puts W.B. Yeats's "Second Coming" to beautiful music, making it one of my all-time faves.

10. Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant's inexplicable obsession with The Lord of the Rings shows up yet again in this toe-tapper.

There are, of course, myriad others, and I probably failed to mention some real knee-slappers. This list made my day, however, and I hope it does the same for you.

No comments: