Friday, July 29, 2005

Summertime Blues

Now it's the end of July, but lately it's been more like October. I don't understand summer weather! I suppose it doesn't matter, since I am cooped up working on my thesis. I am doing a study of depression within the poetry of D.H. Lawrence. It's pretty interesting, thank goodness, but stressful, as all academic endeavours invariably are. I am working hard to get this thing done before we leave for Ottawa. Here's a sample of what I am working with:

"The Breath of Life"
D.H. Lawrence

The breath of life is in the sharp winds of change
mingled with the breath of destruction.
But if you want to breathe deep, sumptuous life
breath all alone, in silence, in the dark,
and see nothing.

I won't go too deep into my study, for it is pretty boring, and it has to do with Freud and death. I guess some would see it as "depressing" but I beg to differ. Today is another day of hacking away!

No comments: